Special Guest - Heidi Jakobs - Baby Card

Hi everyone, Heidi here, I’m very excited to be back on the Whimsy blog and bring you today’s project as guest designer. I don’t need many baby cards in my life but one of my nephew’s became father of the cutest little girl on earth a few weeks ago, so I made this card for him and his girlfriend to welcome the new family member! For today’s card I choose two stamps from the Whimsy Stamps product line.



To get this card started I stamped the adorable Whimsy Stamps “Baby Giraffe“ stamp onto some Strathmore “Toned Tan“ paper using Versafine ink in the colour “Onyx Black“.
Next I coloured the image using coloured pencils from four different brands (you can of course use whatever coloured pencils you have and like): from my Faber Castell Polychromos pencils I used the numbers 123, 187, 180, 177 and 102. From my Holbein Artists‘ Colored Pencils I used the Rose Pink colour (this pencil is from the Pastel Tone Set that you can buy on Ebay). From my Prismacolor coloured pencils I used the Creme, Beige, Light Peach, Peach and Salmon Pink (for the skin tones) and for my highlights I used the White pencil from the Caran d‘Ache Luminance line.
When the colouring was done I went over some of the lines, that I lost during the colouring process, with a black Copic Multiliner (0.1).

Now I can die cut around the image using a circle stitched die from a nesting die set (I like to colour first and then die cut so that I have room to hold the image while colouring and also to do some swatches for colour combo’s to try out). I adhered this circle to a larger piece of yellow coloured paper using liquid glue and fussy cut around it, using my Fiskars scissors, since I don’t have a die in a size that‘s slightly larger then the stitched one that I used before.



I didn’t wanted the background to distract from the cute image so that’s why I choose a matching patterned paper from my stash with two different patterns on it, I die cut this in the right size with a square nesting die and I also die cut a larger square from a light green card stock using a stitched square die in a slightly larger size then the one I used before. I edged the pink patterned paper panel using Distress Ink in the colour “Picked Raspberry” and then I adhered the two mats together using liquid glue.

I also found some fun ribbon (that looks a little like lace) in my stash, wrapped that around the combined mats where the two patterns meet and adhered the ribbon on the back using regular tape.
Then I adhered these combined panels with the ribbon onto a square kraft card base slightly darker in tone then the paper that I coloured the image on, using one millimetre thick foam tape.

Next I’m going to work on my sentiment: for this I stamped one of the sentiments from the Whimsy Stamps “Friendly Flowers“ stamp set onto some crème coloured card stock using the same black ink as before and then I die cut around the sentiment using a circle die. I also die cut a slightly larger stitched circle die shape from the same light green card stock that I used before. These mats I adhered together using liquid glue.

Now I can put this card together: I adhered the coloured image with the yellow mat onto the square panels using one millimetre thick foam tape and then I adhered the sentiment over that also using one millimetre thick foam tape. To finish this card I adhered a matching baby themed chipboard from my stash to the project using Ranger Medium Matte.



And that’s today’s fun little project!

Baby Giraffe Friendly Flowers

4 comments

  1. So cute. Lovely coloring with the pencils. [Bunny]

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet card, I love the colour of the paper and the way you coloured this gorgeous stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute card! Love the soft palette and beautiful colouring on kraft xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining us here today at the Whimsy Stamps Blog. We hope you become inspired to visit with us again and again. Thanks for leaving your comment.

Have a great day,
Your Whimsy Creative Team